Purpose and Features of the RJE3 Program
The RJE3 Program is intended to develop professional groups that play leading roles in the fields of sustainable environment, sustainable culture and sustainable development in the Far East and the Arctic Circle. To this end, the East Russia-Japan Expert Education Consortium (RJE3 Consortium) was formed based on the achievements and networks regarding joint field studies developed between Hokkaido University and Russian universities in terms of the environment, natural disasters, ethnic groups, languages, culture and other areas. The membership includes a core of five universities in the Russian Far East, several graduate schools of Hokkaido University, and representatives from local governments and industries in Hokkaido and the Russian Far East.
The program is intended to develop human resources that play leading roles in creating a sustainable future in the Far East, the Arctic Circle and Hokkaido in collaboration with Far Eastern Federal University (Vladivostok), North-Eastern Federal University (Yakutsk), Sakhalin State University (Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk), Pacific National University (Khabarovsk), and Irkutsk State University (Irkutsk) in terms of the five fields of (1) environmental assessment, (2) cultural diversity, (3) soil and productivity, (4) regional resource development and (5) disaster prevention management.
- Target students
- Graduate students at five Russian Far East partner universities
- As a general rule, the medium of instruction is English, but Japanese may be used in some courses.
- Five Russian Far East partner universities
- North-Eastern Federal University (Yakutsk)
- Far Eastern Federal University (Vladivostok)
- Irkutsk State University (Irkutsk)
- Pacific National University (Khabarovsk)
- Sakhalin State University (Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk)
- Student support
- Please see here
Systematic curriculum of the RJE3 Program
The RJE3 Program consists of two levels of courses: the Basic subject completion certificate course offering basic subjects and the RJE3 Program joint completion certificate course offering specialized subjects for students who have completed the basic subjects. (Click for more information.)
- 01/Prep Subjects: Deepening understanding of Russia before going and learning survival language skills
- 02/Basic Subjects: Strengthening basic academic skills through multidisciplinary lectures and on-field training.
- 03/Specialized Subjects: Deepening expertise in characteristic subjects at the university in Russia
- 04/Advanced Subjects: Utilizing acquired knowledge and skills in an internship program or writing a paper.
For more details, click Course Guide